Sunday 10 May 2015

Absurd Shards #13 - The Psychogeographic Theory of Straight Line Walking (part 3)

The countryside:

Following the limited success of the primary field test, the secondary test was undertaken in a rural location where it was predicted the psychological strictures placed on physicality might be more effectively shaken loose. I had it in mind to repeat the straight line experiment over an unobstructed plot of land to ease myself gradually into the bath of deorientation.

The walk progressed well at first, given the open field location, I was able to get to the point where I could almost visualise the imprints of my own feet before me, scouring a ruler-straight line across the perpendicular terrain. I noticed at once the relative agility with which my mind managed to recalibrate itself in accordance with the prescribed direction; a collision between rigidity and the freedom of expansive space. My delineation of this linear path stood as a steady and measured rejection of the hundreds of alternative routes across the landscape that were available.

As I neared the edge of the field I encountered boggy ground and relished the sense of necessary avoidance having already been subjugated to the will of the walk. Bordering the field was some thick bracken leading into a dense patch of woodland and, with not inconsiderable effort, I was able to scramble over, incurring only minor scrapes to hands and forearms. Entering the woodland I found myself slackening the taut rope of the walk, as per the conditions of the experiment, around trees that obscured my course. At one point I became quite entwined in a thick cluster of branches and overgrowth which took several minutes to break free from. A narrow but deep stream was crossed with less difficulty save for soaking myself up to the thighs.

Despite, or perhaps because of, these physical inconveniences I found myself beginning to be quite exultant with the prospects for this psychogeographic method, my conviction in its potential renewed after the frustrating shortcomings of the urban foray. If I am only able to master the temperament and mental balance I will be soon able to develop the technique into more unorthodox situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment